Friday, December 17, 2010

As the bats fly...

The sun goes down and evening descends, another long summer's night begins. Light fades and in that brief pause before colour is replaced by stars, the sky fills with silhouetted streams of bats stretching out on their long march in search of food. 
I have watched their flight home in the morning too, as bird song swells the dawn, but it is this outward journey, that begins their day and closes mine, that I find myself waiting for. 
In the kitchen after dinner; on the balcony breathing in a final sigh of heat; sharing tales of the day just gone and the day to come with my family -  I always find myself turning to the whispering sky to let the bats draw night's curtain. Tash

Image by Ames

1 comment:

  1. I see them here during the summer as well. I always feel a little frightened of them but realize what a benefit they are to us all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails