Friday, September 24, 2010

Giving new life to French Syntax: Book Repair Part 1

Tash bought this poor old book at a book fair. It has been through the wars - that is a water war. As you can see, there is a considerable amount of staining to the bottom portion of the book as a result of water damage. The binding is also in a poor condition - the cover is detached and there are numerous loose pages.

I cannot read or speak French, but that does not mean that I cannot enjoy this book. In addition, I think that the damage just adds character. It tells a story. And there are some great sections of text (in English) that make me smile - like the excerpt above.

I am in the process of repairing the book in order to preserve it so that other people can enjoy it for years to come. So far, I have taken down the book (unbound it) and have started to repair some of the torn pages and sections (groups of pages). The next steps include rebinding and re-attaching the cover. I could make new covers, but I think the damaged original covers should be repaired and used as they add a flavour of quirkiness.

Repairing books is so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. I love old books. This one is quite damaged. It will take time to repair it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails