Saturday, September 4, 2010

Deconstruction / Reconstruction

This is the conservator in me. I have always had mixed feelings about artists who reinvent books for the purpose of their craft. Is it sacrilegious? Is it art?
But I have come around. What is the point of having books on the back of your bookshelf if you are never going to enjoy them? I say - deconstruct / reconstruct so that your books can be seen, used and enjoyed.
This poor old book, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne was hiding on my shelf. The binding was unstable, the covers detached. Sections were missing from the text block, pages discoloured and folded. Not to mention the pest damage.
So I have given it new life. The detached covers were used to create a notebook that will now be loved. I have sewn the original covers to a new text block using double cords. Don't worry, the original pages will not be ignored. Not sure what I will do with them yet....



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails